How to start journaling with journal prompts~
If you follow me on instagram, you know I talk about journaling a lot.
Like way too much. You'd almost think I was an MLM #girlboss trying to sell you something.
Hey girlieee! I know we haven't spoke since I burnt off half your hair in science class but i have such an amazing business opportunity for you, you girlboss!
But, alas I am not.
I'm just a girl, standing in front of her laptop, trying to help you...
I have no idea where I was going with that but back to the main point.
Journaling. My experiences and the biggest issue with journaling.
If you've read my post on 5 things to remember if you have anxiety, you'll know I had a rocky start with journaling.
If not, here's ye olde tale.
When I was seeing my first therapist, she suggested I try journaling and I actually laughed. I was at rock bottom and this woman just casually suggests that I get a notebook and write about my thoughts and feelings.
Was she mad?!
So I didn't, I resisted. I kept saying 'it won't help me' and believing that I was too far gone for journaling to work.
Eventually, after being signed off from my apprenticeship, I knew I had to try something. So I grabbed a notebook and started.
1 week passed and I gradually started writing more and more...
1 month passed and I started to feel less overwhelmed and anxious..
And then I reached 3 months. 3 months of journaling every night.
At this point I had to actually let go of my pride and admit to myself (and my therapist) that yes, journaling really did help. It helped me get my anxious thought onto paper and out of my head. It helped me understand and process difficult situations better.
This was three years ago and since then I've continued journaling myself.
Throughout my journalling journey, I discovered one of the biggest things that puts people off.
Drum roll please
*Insert drum roll noise*
Not knowing what to actually write about.
It's all well and good people telling you to write about your feelings, your thoughts or whats happened that day but that's not easy for many of us. Up until about 6 months ago I really struggled to actually access my feelings.
So, if you struggle with feelings, then journaling is impossible right?
Well, no that's not true.
Welcome to the wonderful world that is journal prompts.
What are journal prompts?
Journal prompts are the saviour of journaling.
They are wonderful little phrases that prompt a response from you.
So basically, if you don't know what to write about, pick a journal prompt and answer it and voila!
You're a journaling pro.
30 Journal prompts to get you started
Here are 30 journal prompts to get you started. These prompts are great everyday prompts to get you into the flow of journaling!
- What am I most proud of?
- What would I like my life to look like in 5 years time?
- 3 things I am grateful for today are...
- What's something nice I've done for myself recently?
- What's something nice I've done for others recently?
- List 5 things you love about your appearance.
- List 5 things you love about your personality.
- Are you happy with your life? If yes why, if no why not and how can you change this?
- What are my personal strengths?
- What are my weaknesses?
- My favourite place in the whole world is?
- I feel comfortable when...
- Someone I admire is...
- What do I need more of in my life?
- What do I need less of in my life?
- What am I thankful for?
- What do I feel strongly about?
- A memory I'll never forget is...
- The best piece of advice I've ever received was...
- What am I passionate about?
- What are my life goals?
- Whats holding me back from these goals?
- What am I afraid of?
- Write a letter to your future self...
- Write a letter to your younger self...
- What would my perfect day look like?
- What drains my energy?
- If money wasn't a problem, what would you do?
- What motivates me?
- Describe yourself in 10 words.