50 Simple Self Care Ideas for emotional, mental and physical wellbeing~
(Disclaimer- This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click a link and purchase an item that I recommend, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions are my own.)
We all get horrible, low days. The kind of days where you can't bring yourself to get out of bed.
I know how those days feel.
When these days, weeks or even months hit, it usually means its time to go inside ourselves and show our self some compassion.
That's when its time to practice some self care.
What is self care?
If you spend any time on the internet, you'll have heard about self care. But what exactly is self care?
In the dictionary, self care is described as 'the practice of taking action to preserve ones health'.
Self care is about creating healthy, daily practices that encourage mental, physical and emotional wellbeing. Self care is a preventative method. For example, if you struggle with anxiety or depression, self care wont cure it but it will help you unwind and understand your mental health overtime. Therefore, creating self care routines is great place to start with healing.
Self Care Ideas
Here are 50 self care ideas to get you started with your daily self care practice. These are going to be divided into the main three self care pillars. Physical, mental and emotional self care.
Physical self care is all about listening and responding to your bodies needs.
- Starting a new workout
- Having a relaxing hot bath
- Eating healthy
- Getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night
- Going for a walk
- Dancing around your room
- Joining a local sports team
- Making a smoothie
- Do yoga
- Morning stretches
- Take yourself out for the day
- Do some gardening
- Drink plenty of water
- Put on a face mask
- Spend time in the sun
- Go out for coffee
Mental self care is all about finding balance between stimulating your mind and allowing it to rest.
- Listening to music
- Listening to a podcast
- Read a book
- Take a social media break/ detox
- Take up a new hobby
- Put your phone away for a bit
- Watch a motivational TED Talk
- Do a brain dump
- Make a vision board
- Read a personal development book
- Use adult colouring books
- Take a nap
- Clean your space
- Declutter your desk
Emotional self care is all about understanding ourselves, our emotions and what we've been through
- Start a journal
- Practice gratitude everyday
- Use positive affirmations
- Setting boundaries with people and places
- Going to see a therapist
- Spending time with family, friends and loved ones
- Exploring your feelings
- Call a friend or relative
- Try breathing exercises
- Go to your favourite place
- Refresh your morning routine
- Plan a getaway
- Write 5 things that you love
- Go on a solo date
- Light your favourite candle
- Unfollow and unfriend negative people on social media